let’s go to sri lanka with world vision

Friends and readers (who are friends I just haven’t met yet), I want to do something with you. I want to take you with me as I fly to the literal opposite side of this earth, to Sri Lanka. (Don’t worry. I had to google it, too. It is an island off of the south eastern coast of India. ::the more you know jingle::) I will stomach the international flights and layovers, I will take the vaccines and the precautionary anti-malaria medication, and I will get the passport/visa thing sorted out. You just need to show up here, to this space and that way we can go together. I was thinking next month-ish, I dunno, when works for you? Say, August 24 to September 1?

Good. It’s settled then.

Here’s the why, friends (and it’s a big one): I want to show you what World Vision is doing there. I want to tell the story of what child sponsorship does in the lives of children, and I want you to be a part of it. I want to hug children with your arms. I want to see struggle and hope with your eyes. I want you to come with me. I need you to come with me, or else it wouldn’t be worth it.

Just being there, though, is only part of it. You and me, we are going to see things that will change us. They will change our perception of humanitarian work, of poverty, of what we can actually do about it. So another thing we are going to do together, besides just going, is to have our world rocked in the best possible way. I’m pretty pumped about that part, and I hope you are too.

One thing you can do to prepare (don’t worry, I’ve totally got the packing thing covered for you) is to look at this page of beautiful children in Sri Lanka and get excited to meet them. Search through the children. Look to see if anyone shares the birthday or is the same age as your kiddos at home.

Yep, that little boy’s name is O. I can’t make this stuff up, y’all.

If you are excited to do this together with me, and you have a place to display it, I’d be honored if you put this World Vision banner up where your corner of the interwebs can see it:

im going to Sri Lanka with the World Vision bloggers
Copy the HTML below to add our badge to your site.

O, friends. This is big. Like, God big. Thank you for being in it with me.

I’m so excited to see what He can do through us.

36 Responses to “let’s go to sri lanka with world vision”

Thank you Kristen! I enjoyed going to Africa with you, how about Asia together this time?

1. Kimie

We have sponsored a child for years, several of them actually as one passed away, one graduated from the program and our current girl, Fatou is doing great. World Vision is an excellent group. I’m so excited for you to have this adventure!

2. Ashley Doner

I was just talking to a friend of mine about wanting to go there today :)

I looked at the website though and was wondering where the Christian part came in. Do they actually share the gospel or is it mainly just humanitarian ?

Oooo! Awesome question. I will be sure to blog about that! Thanks so much for asking

O how exciting my dear! Who will be physically traveling with you? Looking forward to sharing your journey and learning and growing alongside you.

Thank you, friend! If you click the “i’m going” badge, the bloggers and world vision staff are listed and linked to on the landing page there. No babies or hubby, if that’s what you’re askin’. :)

4. Tiffany @MomNom

Such a great post to wake up to today! So, so, SO, happy for you!!

5. Kacia

oh my goodness!!! I am SO SO SO excited for you!!! oh how I wish we could go together!!

Will be praying for you each morning!!!

xoxo
    Kacia

6. elizabeth

how awesome! my family (parents) sponsored a little girl starting when she was 4 and through when she graduated high school. her name is Reina. she wrote us awesome cards and it was great to see her school report cards. i hope to be able to sponsor someone as well! we’ll be praying for a safe and amazing trip for you!

7. mpt

Love this post Allison! I’m so happy that you’re going on this trip with us. Thanks for being flexible and willing to jump on board! I’m excited for us and for you…

8. Melissa

I was a little confused as to if you were going physically or if we (interweb people) were all visiting via the web- but it seems like you are actually going physically! What an amazing opportunity! I hope to sponsor a child through the Bridge of Hope with Gospel for Asia. Press on!

9. Dawn S

I pray it will be life changing and you can love on the babies for all of us not physically going. I hope to be able to sponsor a child in a few years that our children can learn about and write to as well. This is a great program!

10. molly

This is amazing! But how do you get chosen to do something like this? I have been aching to do a mission trip for quite awhile but would love to do it through my blog to help spread awareness while I’m there!

11. Janelle

That is very exciting! I am so happy for you! My husband JUST got home today from 18 days in Africa…where we have just started a micro-lending business called “Tent Makers International”. We….I repeat WE…meaning ME + Husband were invited to come back in December 2013. I am trying to think of excuses as to why I shouldn’t go….but strangely unlike all the times before…I think this is it. Thanks for the inspiration!