in a desperate attempt to not be lame

Yesterday I googled “How to wear boots over your jeans.”

It was a suggested search term in the drop down menu, which made me feel a lot better (along with ‘How to wear [leggings] and [ankle boots]’).

I’ve been in the house a lot these last 6 months and I’ll be darned if fashion isn’t flying right past me lately. I think it also has something to do with being in a state of wardrobe transition for the last year. Whatever it is, I was on the slippery slope to frumpydom and it scared me.

Looking at pictures on facebook of my well-dressed friends, I decided to try the belt over shirt thing (omw I am so shallow). This is a foreign concept to me.  I messaged with a dear friend Janell in Seattle (because mama knows where to get good fashion advice) about where the crap to start. ‘So, it doesn’t need loops? Just wraps around you like so?’

But then I thought about breast feeding and how I need all access at a moment’s notice, and it was so-long, belt trend.

Desperate not to fall into the trap of mommydom fashion irrelevance, it was on to those skinny jeans I’ve seen the youngins wearing lately. Let’s talk about this for a moment, shall we? “You don’t have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans” they say. So, I believed them. I bought some. I tried them. I returned them. My bi-donk-a-donk looks much more proportionate when nicely complimented by the flare of a boot cut jean.

So, that was the end of the skinny jean saga.

Superfluous belts and skinny jeans are out, and I cannot go on pretending that the pashminas that I bought in Paris 5 years ago are still cutting edge. It’s time for the big guns. It’s time for:

leggings.

I will only show you this picture if you promise not to laugh. Please. Please?

(O, hello pashmina I bought 5 years ago in Paris.)

There I am. In leggings. For the whole world wide web to see.

I big pink fuzzy heart my boots that I got at DSW for $35 with a $20 off voucher (holla!), but I am sort of trying to retrofit my wardrobe to work with them and I am at a loss. Enter: messaging with Janell (Seattle) again. She told me that an open cardigan would look good with the skirt/legging/boot ensemble above, so that is what I wore. (What a life saver.)

But something was just not right. The skirt, which I bought 7 years ago when I was in high school, has a few small pen stains and I ironed the crap out of the synthetic thread in a couple of places. So, it’s a little worse for wear, but did you catch that? I bought it 7 years ago. And I can still wear it. There’s no way in Siberia I am getting rid of this thing, I don’t care what shape it’s in, but me thinks it’s time for a little upcycling.

And this is the part of the story where I need you. The skirt needs to be dyed. The stains aren’t pretty, and frankly I think it’s too light of a color to work with the little winter outfit I’m trying to sport here.

Information you need to know: My boots are brown. I own one pair of leggings and they are grey. I am more than willing to buy tights. A lot of my wardrobe is brown, but I also have some jewel-tone cardigans and a fair number of cream colored sweaters (you think I’d know better with my skin tone). My coat is, quite obviously, green.

Color dying options: grey, camel, chocolate brown, burgundy (any other suggestions?)

How this works: I am committed to dying the skirt whatever color receives the most votes/comments. I think I’ll leave this open for a week or so, or however long until comments stop trickling in. Then, I’ll show you the awesome, stylish results that will be all thanks to you guys, and you can turn your Girl Scout pin right side up for doing your good deed for the day.

Please help a girl out. It takes a village to keep a mom from being out of style.

Also, if you are from Seattle, you get two votes because it is just that cool there.

94 Responses to “in a desperate attempt to not be lame”

1. Jenn

I so. know. what you are saying about having a little kick at the bottom of your jeans…absolutely necessary. As for my vote, I pick camel (although, honestly, they all sound good to me)…that might be the safe color, but I’m kind of simple that way. Good Luck!

It kind of reminded me of when I tried on a mermaid prom dress. I was WAY too hippy for it and it looked ridiculous. Guess I’ll never learn.

• Jenn

Ok, at the risk of being repetitive, doing the whole reply on reply thing (again), and sounding creepy for posting this a mere 20 minutes after you…I tried on like 30 mermaid wedding dresses CONVINCED it was the style for me until my mother and one mild-mannered boutique employee pointed out that I am short AND curvy. I wanted so badly to be a mermaid! But alas, I’ll have to stick to being a member of the lollipop guild instead…

2. brittney

You can dye a skirt? Seriously!? I’m sure going to dive right in to this upcycling thing. Oh, but enough about me. I vote chocolate brown. Mostly because I’m partial to anything chocolate brown. But still. I think it would look fabulous. (And I’m not just saying that to see a picture of your skirt in the color I voted for.)

Well, I hope I can! I mean, it’s just cotton and I’ve dyed stuff before using RIT. I guess this could go poorly, I never really considered that. Upcylcing is fun! I’ve done a few baby leg warmers out of (new) socks and old sleeves. Enjoy!

• brittney

Genius! I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it before. Excited to try it!

And crossing my fingers (if I were superstitious) that the skirt dyes perfectly for you!

3. Jenny

I vote camel, and I think you get points for TRYING to stay in the fashion swing, where as I just cross my fingers and hope I have something clean to wear whilst going out :) My word I love ya. You make me laugh, mostly because I’m thinking the same things.

O, I never said it was clean ;).

Actually, the jeans I was wearing this morning were straight out of the wash and subsequently got barfed on. That’ll teach me to do the laundry.

4. Vanessa

I think you should dye the skirt chocolate brown and then invest in some fun coloured tights! (recently I bought a pair of bright PURPLE tights cuz they were $2! and wore them with a black knit dress and black boots!)

• Vanessa

Coloured tights…well I am Canadian and WISH we had Target…but I would imagine you can find them there. Lots of trendy little stores probably have good sales right now – the other day a store in the mall had three pairs for 20. I bought a pair of grey tights and a pair of black tights (leggings actually) from Old Navy. They are SO comfy and don’t give me major muffin top (like I need the help, really). :) Good luck with the dying! Er…that sounds weird. You know what I mean. :)

5. Shannon

chocolate brown.. and I think you’re adorable. I can’t wear skinny jeans either, and I still don’t understand the belt-over-the-shirt thing at all.. I just wear jeans and sweaters :\

Awe, thanks Shannon! I’ve surrendered to the fact that I’m not going to understand it, I’m just going to try it out and see if I’m comfortable with it. Hopefully I don’t look completely stupid.

6. Mae

Chocolate Brown I think… and I want to steal your super cute green coat.

Also, mad props to you for making the effort. I sit here in an outfit that would be described as fashionable by no one, in fact calling it an outfit is extremely kind.

I am terrified of leggings. Even more so than I am of large birds or clowns and that is saying a LOT. Should I work on overcoming this fear? Are leggings worth it?

It’s from Old Navy!

OMW I’m afraid of leggings too, but I have had to strike from my mind the images of 14 year old girls wearing them with little more than a tank top. THAT is not the leggings I’m wearing.

Actually, out there in the snow it was awesome to have them on and I was completely warm… but that’s not really a problem for you. So. Maybe try tights? (Says the girl who doesn’t own any.)

7. Jen

I vote chocolate brown! Cause it always looks great and who doesn’t like chocolate?!

I have a LOT of chocolate things, the largest of which is a sectional couch. I love me my chocolate brown!

8. Hannah

Way to rock the leggings! I think they are adorable with skirts and boots. My vote is chocolate brown. It goes with much, and grey. What brand are the boots? It’s hard to see them in the snow, but they look similar to a pair of Steve Madden’s I own.

AH! Thanks! I feel totally out of my element. They’re not SM I know that, some off brand but there were some Maddens there that I loved… I didn’t $110 love them though.

9. rebecca d

Ok, let me preface this by saying, I am in no way any longer cool. This happens when your offspring become teenagers, your cool takes the back seat so they can shine. (Besides who wants to be the “cool” mom…isn’t she the one who borrows her daughter’s clothes as if she is still 16…and buys kids beer…etc…if that’s cool, I’m out… but I digress.) Like I mentioned above I do have these two teen girls so I asked them. My 17 year old said “Chocolate brown and ditch the gray leggings in favor of some brown tights with pattern knot into them.” My 14 year old said “Ditch the skirt…it looks like it is a million years old, and it’s because of the style not the color. Plus it’s making her look wider then in her other photos. Besides leggings are meant to be worn with shorter skirts or long cardigans if you have no thighs.” (sorry, she is ruthless, but she’s 14 doesn’t know how sweet you are.) She did say “cute boots though…” Anyhow, I guess that was no help. As for the jeans in boots thing they do that all the time and I guess it’s a skinny jeans only thing (according to them). My 17 year old (apparently the nice one) did say if the skinny jeans don’t work for her rear tall her to add on of those long cardigans, they hide a lot and still look trendy.

OMW I am dying of laughter. I can totally see DanO’s 13 year old sister saying most of the same things. You and your daughters rock. And I’m incredibly impressed that they’re home schooled and have awesome fashion senses. Or is that just one of those other homeschooler stereotypes I’m perpetuating?

Tell 17yo I like the tights idea.

• rebecca d

Yes that is a stereotype… we laugh at that one all the time. But to tell the truth we are guilty too..we play “spot the homeschoolers” when we are out and always look for the ones with the too-short pants…all dressed alike…or our personal favorite, homemade dresses. I think they take it as a compliment when people are surprised they homeschool, but come to think of it, most of their homeschooled friends dress just like them…
        PS. Katy (17) said to tell you they have cute tights on sale at Target for about $5.

10. Tara @ This Military Mama

I love your green coat! So cute!

I vote Chocolate brown. Then it’s good for winter and fall and about half of spring [thanks to rain melting snow and random cold days]. You can even use it for date nights during the summer.

I love the idea of getting fun colors for my variety of tights. Plus you will have tons of fun options for your skirt and boots combo. Between cardigans, shirts, and tights you can come up witha bunch of combos!

Also, I LOVE this post, cause you and I are built similarly and I’ve been very very VERY afraid to try leggings. You look INCREDIBLE in them so I feel like I might be able to pull it off too. Thanks!

Thanks! The coat is from Old Navy.

I’m going to have to experiment with other clothes and these leggings, maybe even hunt some thrift stores for more skirts that work. Let me know how it goes for you!

11. Laura

Firstly, props to you for embracing the leggings trend. I wear them daily and they are great no matter how (bloated etc) you feel. Secondly, always wear darker colors on bottom to make yourself appear smaller and lighter colors on top to draw the eye upward (toward your beautiful face and probably the adorable baby you’re holding). Therefore, my vote is chocolate brown…..and since it’s coming all the way from SWEDEN, maybe it should count as five votes :)

**Side note – black is the perfect color for leggings. Good neutral. Goes with everything even brown. AND is slimming. I strongly suggest you invest in a pair! xoxo

LAURA!!!

OMW you totally get 5 votes, plus you have the whole Stacy London explanation of your choice based on fashion rules. Impressive.

I have black long underwear that look like leggings, does that count? ;) I’ve been told that the whole black/brown embargo is over, but it’s still hard to swallow. If you say so, though, I will trust you and go buy some.

I miss you and wish you were in the states so I could txt you with outfit hang ups, too! :)

12. Sarah @ This Heavenly Life

Camel! It’ll be good in any season, and compliment your boots nicely. Chocolate brown seems more limiting to me, but I can’t pinpoint why. Obviously, most of your other commenter disagree :)

I love your desperate attempt at non-lameness. I brought my fashion conundrum (big boots/jeans) to my readers a couple months ago, and they had AWESOME ideas for me. Blog readers unite! As long as they’re cooler than *I* am, we’re all good :)

13. Valerie

Hey Allison!

This is the first time i’ve ever commented on your blog, but i’ve been reading for a few months and feel sure that if we knew each other we’d be friends :) I too am just entering the world of motherhood with an almost 3 mo. old son. I can totally relate to so many of your posts – being in wardrobe transition for so long, finally beginning to feel comfortable in a “mother suit” – so thanks for your openness – know that you’re encouraging another young mom in New York State!

For the record, i’ve never had the courage to dye any piece of clothing, so I’m excited to see how this turns out – my vote is chocolate brown!

Awe, Valarie! It makes me so happy to hear that. I’m glad recording the craziness around here has been an encouragement to you. As far as wardrobe transition, I have like 20 items hanging in my closet from pre-pregnancy. I have been dressing out of my bureau for a year now (first it held maternity clothes, now new, post-partum clothes). I wonder how many years those 20 things will hang there?

14. Maryanne @Scrappy Gifts

I love this post….I too am trying to figure out how to stay in fashion and look my age. I love the show What Not to Wear and I always try to think about everything I’ve learned from that show. You could send that picture in to them and they might pick yours to talk about on TV.
    I vote chocolate brown and I would look into other colored tights. I bought some tights at Kohls and I love them.
    By the way, I have the same Old Navy coat in purple =D

Haha… so I should go on what not to wear, huh? I kid I kid. I SHOULD go on what not to wear.

I’m hearing a lot of tights recommends, I think I’ll have to look into that. Thanks for the comment and the vote!

15. Sal

I love your cute little ensemble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stinkin adorable! I would soooooo dye the skirt
    camel – definitely! It matches the buttons on your coat – which is so trendy btw. And camel
    goes with anything! Diggin those boots too.

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Happy Dyeing (ooooh, does that sound bad?)

Thanks Sal!

I think dying will be sometime next week. (you’re right, that does sound bad.)

I’m sure dying will be wonderful. (yeesh)

I can’t wait to dye?

Ok, I can’t win.

16. abby

I say chocolate brown! But I love brown:). First of all, your cashmina is beautiful and maybe I’m getting old, but I think it looks way stylish! (I have just discovered scarves this winter and I’m loving them…maybe every day is too much? nah.) LOVE the boots too! Those are way stylish! I got a pair of knee boots and I was having the same issue about the skinny jeans. I want everyone to see my cute boots, but flared jeans just look better on me. My girlfriend was wearing leggings with flats under her dress on Sunday and it was WAY cute, so I think I might try leggings next. (I tried to buy some before Christmas but the only ones I could find in the right color were at Express for the same price as pants! seriously!!?? But I have heard that Target has a huge selection of leggings…in case you want another color than grey:)

I’m a sucker for brown too. So much so that you’d be hard pressed to find black in my wardrobe. I should probably have more variety, I know, but I just gravitate toward brown!

Yea, those leggings are Target, and ACTUALLY, I bought them to wear under my running pants from that 5K back in October. TRUE CONFESSION. I think I probably should go back and get more and/or tights.

17. Nicole Drysdale-Rickman

You look A.DOR.ABLE! I know it’s not on the list of colors but purple(i think) would be a GREAT color on you! Or Burgandy, like you said!!

I am also trying HARD not to be frump mom. After 3 boys(2 back to back)and a presently nursing baby….it’s hard to be fashionable.

You have inspired me to get a cute boot. Any more vouchers you can send my way?!? lol

NURSING AND FASHION. Don’t even get me started. I tried on 2 dresses to wear to Christmas Eve but neither would have worked with ‘access to the goods’. Guh. I ended up wearing this outfit, actually.

The voucher worked like this: I signed up for DSW reward points at the register buying shoes… probably a year ago. Then, I hadn’t been back. They kept sending things like “Come back soon! 10% off!” then a few months later, “We miss you! $10 off” and the $20 off was the grand-daddy PLEASE COME BACK coupon they sent me.

(It worked.)

18. Mandy

chocolate brown, for sure. it’s my favorite neutral. i JUST found jeans that would fit into boots, and also snagged some dark blue skinny corduroys that would also fit into them. however, i may not be the correct size to sport this combo, everyone else can suck it.

whoop whoop Sea-town!

p.s. you’re adorable. as always.

Thanks Mandy! WHOA. skinny cords. You are way out of my league. Were your jeans A) tapered B) high enough to not expose thyself when bending? I couldn’t find any that weren’t cut for a 16 year old who doesn’t have these child bearing hips.

• Mandy

i got the jeans at target, and yes, they are quite “skinny” (aka TIGHT). i would never fathom wearing them without boots, because it would greatly accentuate da hips, but for some reason with knee high boots, it looks cute. and with a longer top and cardigan, the hips kinda get hidden. like, denim leggings if you will.

the cords are by far my favorite recent find. like, i’m thinking about doing a blog post. lol

O yea, Nichole you’re right! He was in there too! Fortunately, bear suits are always fashionable so he doesn’t need an open forum of style advice.

19. Corinne

I say Camel or Burgundy.
    Love the look! (and lady, I cannot figure out the skinny jean on a not so skinny me… boot cut all the way!!!)

I know! People say “O the name is misleading it means skinny leg not skinny YOU.” and I’m all “exactly. NOT SKINNY ME.” Nuff said.

20. Anna

Props to you for putting effort into your wardrobe. I think I am going to live vicariously through you if that’s alright. I too, have many pieces of clothing from high school that I can’t seem to throw out. Maybe upcycling is the way to go. Hmmmm… I’ll have to schedule that in (HA!)
    Super cute outfit btw- but I always think you look stinkin’ adorable.
    Where does one aquire legging that are that cute?

Oh, a piece of advice passed on to me by a very trendy friend. I was told “Leggings DO NOT count as pants. DO NOT wear them on their own.” Apparently, nobody want to see this twice postpartum hieny w/o a skirt over it??? Say what?!

I vote chocolate!

Hey! I’m willing to be a guinea pig, it’s cool. VERY TRUE on the leggings as pants. HOLY MOLY. At least on me, that’s for sure. Apparently Lohan and Miley can pull it off, but whatevs.

I bought mine at Target in the junior area (aka Mossimo). I think I might delve into tights too… I’ll let you know.

21. Courtney

Oh Mama am I right there with you. Fashion has totally and completely passed me by. I don’t even like to go shopping anymore because I feel like an idiot trying on the “latest trends” that I don’t understand. I just bought myself a pair of boots yesterday…and leggings…and a few of the loooong shirts to go with them. Not really sure where to start…LOL Good luck figuring it out. Let us know when you do :)

That’s the look I’m hoping for! The longish skirt with leggings and boots thing. It feels “latest trend”ish enough for me without helping me look like more of a teenage mother. So there’s that.

Let me know what you find! (And you didn’t pick a color!!)

Thanks, friend! ‘anti skinny jean’. I like it. Let’s make a gang. A big fierce, mommy gang.

22. katie t

I just clicked on your blog because you were the first “Not Me Monday” on Mckmama’s site. How funny that your first posting was about skinny jeans. I was thinking very similar thoughts as I walked through the Dallas airport Saturday: “I am the only woman under 30 here who is not wearing jeans tucked into her boots!” It’s nice to know my concerns about my wardrobe (like is this sweater too old? and how do I wear leggings?) are shared by other new mommies.

YES! It is always when I’m out in public – mall, church (ugh my church is so trendy it hurts), MOPS – that I am hyper aware of my jeans and my sweater and lack of trendiness. You’re right, I think age has a lot to do with it too, feeling like the people around me in my age bracket are blowing me out of the water… I’d just like to not sink.

I had all the same questions. Google only had some of the answers.

23. Tammy

Chocolate Brown…what girl doesn’t just love chocolate…but seriously chocolate brown is such an awesome neutral! Gotta do it!

By far my favorite neutral, too! Seems to be winning thus far. Thanks for the help!

Gooooo Sea-Tac. It is absolutely lovely there, and having lived in Portland for 18 years, I often wish I could move back to the PNW… then again I would have to figure out how to dress cute all the time and that scares me. (Or maybe I would just KNOW through the osmosis of the trendy people around me?)

Thanks for the comment!

24. Kristi Maristi

Jeeze Louise you have a lot of “fans”! That’s awesome! This is my first trip to your blog, even though we occasionally tweet each other!
    My vote is burgundy. Burgundy goes with a ton of colors, including your brown boots and your grey leggings. AND I completely understand what you are going through with the wardrobe transition…I have an eight month old and my body hasn’t gone back to what it once was quite yet!

I like to call them friends. ;)

I like your bold move with Burgundy. The consensus seems to be chocolate right now, which is probably what I would have picked if left to my own devices which probably means it’s the safe choice (if history serves). Thanks for the comment!

Leaps and bounds ahead of anything I could put together. Im happy if my tshirt matches my hoodie. ;)

Blessings-
    Amanda

I’m lucky if my hoodie doesn’t smell like sour milk. ;)

No, really, I’m trying! It’s hard, but I’m trying!

26. Steph

Hi There!

I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks, so I just wanted to say I really love your blog! It’s very cute and seems like an honest portrayal of a new mom’s life.
    Oh, and I think your outfit today is very cute!

~Steph

27. Elizabeth

i think the skirt would look great if it was grey – the same color as those leggings. it would look awesome with that cardigan that also looks like a peacoat :)
    and i’m sure you don’t have a bi-donk-a-donk ;)

Haha, you’re right, here it is pictured with my coat… but I wore it with the cardigan when I wasn’t out in the elements. Grey would be fun, other than the leggings, I’m not sure I have much in my wardrobe, so it would be a good color to wear with a lot. Chocolate seems to be ahead now, so we’ll see!

Hope all is well with your little fam!

28. Megan Tarry

Well, well, well…I am both a pear shaped peer and from Seattle so today is my lucky fashion advice giving day! :) I can’t get a good look at the boots because of the snow, but I agree with the earlier recommendation of skinny jeans in boots only. I found some that I really like because they sit higher on the waist (a.k.a. cover ones butt even if one might need to squat down and pick up a crying baby). They are BDG brand at Urban Outfitters for $35 on sale…normally $46…they sell several different cuts but one cut is just stretchy enough and just high enough. You can always wear a tunic top, especially one that fits right under the boobage and then sort of drapes down, or as the fourteen year old friend said above you can wear a long cardigan. You can also do a long tanktop under a “boyfriend blazer”, a blazer that is loose but tailored and has rolled up sleeves to make it three quarter sleeved. You could also do a straighter cut denim skirt with the boots and any color tights/leggings (by the way, I am proud of your leggings…I haven’t gone there yet)…the cut of the skirt says ballet flats rather than boots to me.

MEGAN! How ARE you?!

Ok the thing with Flats is… come on, tell me you haven’t forgotten already. IT’S SNOWIER THAN ALL GET OUT HERE.

Muh toes would freeze.

So, I’m kinda stuck with the boots for at least 2 months, probably more like 3. At least for everyday stuff.

PS: you didn’t pick a color Mrs. Seattle. You get 2 votes!

• Megan Tarry

I’m good. I live in Portland now (but I think 17 years in Seattle still gets my somewhere…). I teach social studies at Portland Christian Jr./Sr. High School which I love but doesn’t pay enough for me to see at as a forever position. I have 7 roommates and we live in a big house in Laurelhurst close to downtown on the east side. I have not forgotten it is too cold for ballet flats there…trust me…it takes more than a few months to thaw that out of one’s brain. I DID forget to vote though…I say dye the skirt a chocolate brown and a peacock sort of rich teal color for the tights…or vice versa. By the way, I read your blog every day and I love it…even if you have betrayed some of your northwest heritage in the name of small government ;).

29. shelley

LOL! I LOVE this post because I am right there with you. I have been wondering the same EXACT things as of late. I have some boots, but no way to wear them cooly. Was wondering if I could pull off the skinny jean, but really know that I can’t. But, hey, never give up trying, right? I vote for grey or brown. With brown you can play with fun colored tights or leggings. Have fun. And you’re cool just for the attempt. =)

Thanks Shelley! I guess I’m not completely opposed to the jeans, I think the execution was just poor. I need a pair that I can bend down in legally. Preferably one that was made to accommodate these child bearing hips. Maybe they’re out there somewhere. I’ll let you know.

That blog is FABULOUS. Thank you so much for the link! She didn’t even make me feel inferior, either, just helpful.

I think that’s two totally awesome, helpful ideas from Kara this week! Thanks so much, friend!

30. Jordee

Hello old friend! Being that I have a degree in merchandising management, I couldn’t help myself when you asked for comments. Since you have a lot of brown, I would say do a dark charcoal grey, that way you can use your other brown apparel to wear as the top layer and to coordinate with your boots. I feel that doing a charcoal leaves you with endless possibilities on top colors and tight colors. Like a charcoal grey skirt with burgundy tights and a brown sweater I think would be really cute and add a great pop of color! Brown for the skirt would be good too, but I am just a stickler for having the same colors on my body match. I feel that grey would allow you to get the most use out of the skirt since it is a staple color, it can be mixed and matched with just about anything you already have in your closet!

P.S. I think that I should get two points since I feel like I have seen you in that skirt before…possibly when you first bought it! I love when you can still fit into things from the good ol’ days of Mr. Martens and choir.

Hi Jordee! I am SO GLAD you are chiming in. You’re right, matching the browns might be tricky… now I’m worried. O well, we’ll give it our best if brown wins (which I kind of think it will).

You absolutely have seen me in it before. I’m certain I wore it for my graduation open house and porbably a few other things senior year. The thing has been around.

Thanks for the comment, friend!

31. Stephanie

I happened to stumble upon your blog yesterday and this post had me cracking up! A few weeks ago I had to google “how to tie a scarf.” I’m so glad I’m not the only one that relies on Google and YouTube videos to teach me how to be fashionable (or at least presentable!). I just recently branched out and bought a cardigan, yet I still feel a bit like a grandpa when I wear it. You have a beautiful family and a gift for writing!

Stephanie

32. Sheila@Momfessions

Honestly I have NO IDEA, because I’m not that fashionable either. I am interested to see how dying it turns out. I vote brown simply because I adore anything brown lately. Good luck!

Thanks! I figure little to no loss if dying goes awry, I mean, I already got a good 7 years out of it ,right?

33. Billie

My vote is for chocolate brown!!! I just LOVE brown! You can’t go wrong with Brown, Cream, and Green….all my favorites!!! I must say that you don’t look unstylish in your photos:) But, I know what you mean about mommydom. I just had my son in Ocotber and can’t believe how easy it is to fall into the trap of comfiness. If baby E can be so cozy and comfy why can’t momma?! Right?! (BTW, I just love reading your blog to see how baby O is growing….it’s a window into what I have to look forward too!) But, I try….I really try to be somewhat stylish but often fall very short. That’s why we have stylish girlfriends to call for advice!!! I just love your boots. I would really like to find a pair myself but I just haven’t been able to find the right ones! And girl, I’m right there with you. Skinny jeans do. not. look. good. on everyone! I’ve tried…did I just admit that?…yes. They are not for those of us with hips! Good Luck!

34. Tabatha

Love the leggings! They are great because you can buy them in an array of colors.
    I pick chocolate brown too :)

I think all of the positive feedback here has me willing to try them in other colors! Shoot, I’ve even been talked into tights and might possibly consider shopping for skinny jeans again. YEESH!

• Tabatha

The belt over the shirt thing never worked for me, it just didnt feel right but I would try shopping for skinny jeans again. Two weeks ago I bought my first pair from Target. At first I was like “no way they make my tush look bigger”, but then I realized they look good if you wear them with boots over the skinny bottom part. Ankle or knee high boots make everything look more proportionate.

35. Kalee

Okay, hmmm….can I just say screw the matchy matchy look? Is that too harsh? I haven’t slept much lately so I want to apologize if I come across as not nice and sweet. You seem to have the same skin coloring, and are drawn to similar colors. My suggestion? Navy blue. It works fantastically with the green and brown, still is a neutral, but can be mixed later with every color you can think of. Navy and yellow? Nice. Navy and pink or purple? Pretty. Navy and red, good in moderation. And navy with grey is stunning in most cases. Hope this helps!

Oh and as someone who loves her skinny jeans (and loved them when I was more curvy too) I would say anyone can wear them, it’s how you wear them. If you feel your derrier is too “there” then try wearing them with a tunic and flats. It’s a cute look on nearly everyone! And the belt over the shirt is slightly impractical if you are nursing, but you might try it again later. It really can nip in your waist and be a nice accent to a great outfit.

36. Sarah

I vote camel or burgandy. And I once lived in Seattle, if that counts for the double vote. You could pull of skinny jeans, especially with a flat, felt boot. Probably like the ones in your first picture.