my new job

{This nursing session brought to you by playdough.}

Last Friday was my first morning home with both the boys. DanO went to work for a half day.

It was good. It was so, so good.

The night before, OBoy had refused to pay attention, obey, or even hug me goodnight. He has had Daddy one on one a lot since OBrother’s arrival, and I think out of a need to protect himself or fear of losing Daddy too, he has distanced himself from me.

“Can Mommy have a hug?”

“No.”

O, my tender, recently expanded heart. I told DanO it felt like I was being dumped.

When Friday morning came, and it was Mommy at his door when he woke up, my OBoy was back. His first three words that morning?

“Mommy! Daddy? Baby?”

I wish I could describe the joy that moment brought me, or the joy of hundreds of thousands of moments since.

Like good morning kisses.

And sharing the awesomeness that is “yedow truck”.

What a gift my job as a mother of two is. There’s an awareness in me that wasn’t there before of just how blessed I am. It’s right in front of my face day in and day out.

In a flash, these interactions energize me. They erase the 6am yellow-poop diaper blow-out followed by the 7:15am rising toddler. To see OBoy as in love as he is with our newest family member sends this charge right up me, gives me strength and makes me feel filled to the very top of my eyebrows.

Which is good, because when there are two hungry mouths, four flailing arms and many tears being shed simultaneously, that reserve tank takes a hit. When I go back and forth between kiddos, trying to get both to sleep and failing, when the toddler knows my hands are full of baby so he makes a bee-line for the WhateverHe’sNotSupposedToHave, when I literally pee my pants for lack of muscle strength (yay second birth!), and or when it takes 25 minutes to get everything and everyone into the car… I need that energy.

So far, in the 4 and a half days I have been full time at my new job, the joy far out-weighs the exhaustion.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to refill my chai.

28 Responses to “my new job”

1. Tiffany @MomNom

You’re rockin’ it darlin’. And boyoboy do I know what you mean about how long it takes to get a family of four out the door….sheesh. I still can’t figure out why. I have been trying to do stuff WAY in advance, or keep a diaper bag fully packed just in the car, both of which help, but man, it still takes forever. I love seeing the two of them together, too.

My husband and I tease and say we “thought” we were a family when we were three, but now we really feel like a family.

So blessed.

2. Kim

Those sibling moments make you fall in love, don’t they? And the getting into stuff when you’re nursing? My older 2 got into my make-up/lotion while I was nursing my youngest. It was awesome. But I did take pictures, at least. :) Keeping your sense of humor is one of the most important things and it sounds like you’re doing just that. Enjoy those boys — all 3 of them!

3. Kim

It will happen like this every time you add another one to your brood too. I love, love, love it.

4. Cole

What a beautiful post – and I’m so glad this is a time of joy for you! You have 2 beautiful boys there! :)

5. Whitney

Allison, you are doing such a great job. The boys are blessed to have you as their mommy! And don’t you think that the Bucks needs to give a New Mom Discount? Lord knows how much caffeine we need to consume to survive (and YES, it is NECESSARY for survival).

6. Kristyn

Your boys are absoluetly adorable. I just had my second boy in January, so I seriously am right there with you. My two year old did the same rejecting mommy thing at first and it almost broke my heart too. Those first few weeks are an adjustment all around but eventually everyone settles in to the new normal. Two boys is a lot of work but a lot of fun too!

7. Angee

This is exactly what I love about your blog. You’re so positive and full of hope, love and joy. I hear so much about how HARD it is to have a new baby in the home with an older child, but you described perfectly how wonderful it can be. Thanks for being the joy-filled voice in mommy blogosphere!

8. Kaitlin Cole

I love this. We just found out we are expecting baby number 2 and this makes my heart happy. I love hearing about the victory and joy with 2 babes. Love this!

Sounds like you’re all doing really well and I LOVE to hear that. Such sweet picks of the boys! :)

10. Kat

I am one of your Twitter followers and loved reading during your #TwitterBirth. Was said to see that you felt dumped and now so happy to hear how your Lil’ ones are doing. Sounds like you have your hands full at all times but oh the joy of having them full with baby and toddler love! Great Post!

~KM
    BLOG~ http://SAHMingitontheplains.blogspot.com
    TWITTER~ @CMsmommy

11. Aileen

Good to know I’m not the only one living off Chai. I’m almost out of the powder I tried from Trader Joes for hot Chai. Panic.

12. Steph

Quite honestly, the idea of having a 2nd baby literally terrifies me. It is so so very encouraging to hear that it CAN be done. I am so glad to hear you are enjoying being the Mommy of 2. You sound very happy! Praise God for the blessings of children!

• Erin

I agree, Steph! My only child is just 7 1/2 months old, but I’m already putting pressure on myself to decide if trying for a 2nd baby is a good idea and wondering how others decide that it is.

13. Stephanie

First off ~ your doing great! I felt the same way when my second was born . . . since #1 had my number and was speedy gonzalez on crack trying to get into everything. Secondly ~ chai tea lattes from Starbucks get me through even the roughest of days. Third, I now have baby #5 (4 mo old) and it DOES get easier. . . I promise. But the pee thing ~ well, that really doesn’t get easier. I just try not to jump on trampolines a lot:)

14. Courtney @ The Mommy Matters

I love your honesty when you talk about life with a second child. My husband and I are in the “we think we want another baby” phase, and I have a hard time imagining what it would be like with two children. Reading about how you manage and conquer gives me courage and makes me excited for the next phase of our lives. :)

15. "Cookie"

Oh I remember those days! I was where you are right about this time last year. WOW! What a difference a year makes! :) I remember each day things would get a little easier…. and then all of a sudden, it was easy. I went through a stage with my oldest (actually, he went through a stage with me!) that he wanted nothing to do with me. He wanted to be anywhere but at home. Broke my heart!! Today…. he won’t leave the house without kissing his little bro and me. It took him several months to get into the new role of big bro…. and me getting into the role of being a mommy to 2.

You have two adorable boys!! And I’m partial to little boys….. I’m a mommy to 2. :)

You give me so much hope that I can do this too! :) I’m nervous for life with 2, but it helps to hear about the joyful moments. Your boys are adorable!!

17. Wendy

Welcome to “mother of two crazy land”. It’s an awesome place to be, and I love knowing that someone else is out there going through it too. Thanks for your blog.