my second half

Every once in a while, it will come up and someone will mention how I “ran a half marathon” and I’m pretty quick to correct them that I “finished a half marathon”. I really came pretty close to half-walking, half-running it; I think my pace per mile was 13:45ish. To be fair to myself, I didn’t train for a certain pace. I trained to finish it, which I did and that was a major accomplishment. During the training process, I also stumbled across a love of running that I didn’t know I had.

That love had me running 10 to 15 miles a week since November just for the feeling it gave me, even, friends, on a treadmill. So when a half marathon appeared on my radar that at the time was only 7 weeks away, I was able to jump right into a training schedule mid-way through.

(photo source)

Next week I will be in Dallas for the Blissdom Conference and the Sunday after the conference is over, I will be running the Rock ‘n ‘Roll Half Marathon with a few blogging friends. I am planning to run a 10:30 minute/mile pace; last weekend I completed 11 miles at this tempo and it felt pretty good. It will be hard work, but I am feeling pretty motivated by this goal.

Also: Running! In shorts! Outside! Without snow on the ground! Can you imagine?

Most of my runs for this race have been done on a treadmill. By most I mean all but two at this point. I had been optimistic that the couple of weeks right before the event I would be able to move more of my runs outside so that I would have road legs but let’s be honest: March averages of 10″ of snowfall in Minneapolis – 9″ of which we got last week.

It will be interesting to see how my indoor training translates to the race course. Yes, interesting is the word. Also interesting will be hopping on a plane for 4 hours to fly home the evening after the race. May God have mercy on my quads.

10 Responses to “my second half”

1. Janelle W.

Woot! We’re training for our first half marathon and a lot of it is thanks to your great motivation! We’ve always kept the “it doesn’t matter how long it takes me, just FINISH” motto. Good luck!

2. Carrie

Awesome, I love reading your blog and glad that you are coming to visit the big D.

3. Sidnie

You amaze me. So proud of you for finding a love of running and sticking with it.
    Many prayers that the flight is empty-ish and you have room to stretch out!

4. Kristen

I’ve run two half marathons and done almost all my training on a treadmill (because Iowa isn’t much warmer). For me, the switch to the road for the actual race wasn’t hard at all. I’ve found that training on a treadmill can help you develop a consistent rhythym for a pace, and it makes it pretty easy to maintain that pace on your own. Good Luck in Dallas!!!

5. Leigh

Yay, you! If you’re like me, you’ll find your time is faster on the road than on the treadmill. I do most of my running on a treadmill on my lunch hour, and then when I hit the road on weekends I’m always pleasantly surprised at how much faster I can go. Plus, the adrenaline of the race itself will push you. Have fun, and good luck!

6. Aimee S.

It’s a great course and a fun race. Besides, you will have AMAZING weather!! I hope you enjoy your time in my city. :-)

7. Jocelyn S

I can’t wait to read your recap of the half! I am in a similar situation. I have been restricted to the treadmill for months…and I am really wanting to do a 10k soon. The course is pretty hilly, and since I have been running on the flat treadmill, I am sort of scared about the transition…

8. Liz

I just ran RnR USA in DC, and it was SO fun (and SO hilly!) You will have a great time! Good luck!